There are a number of home remedies to help relieve sinus infection (also known as sinusitis). How about fruit juice? It is not only awesome in taste – but also good for your hydration. Fruits are great source of nutrients. Even some are high in anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that can help a lot to cope with inflammation and infection of your sinuses.
Why is hydration important when you have sinusitis?
Keeping hydrated is important for your overall health and should not be taken lightly. In fact, the body is mostly composed by water.
Dehydration is associated with a number of mild and serious conditions. These include:
- Disc problems. The discs of the spine contain water. When you have dehydration, your discs can shrink and press on the sciatic nerve, leading to back pain arising from your spine. In severe case, chronic dehydration may lead to herniated and bulging discs.
- Headache, heaviness in the head, dizziness, or blurred vision – because the blood doesn’t effectively circulate to the brain.
- Heat injury. Dehydration may cause heat injury from mild (such as heat cramps) to serious (such as heat exhaustion and life-threatening heatstroke). The risk of heat injury increases when you’re exercising vigorously and you don’t drink enough water.
- Kidney disease. Keeping hydrated can help make your kidneys work more easily. Chronic dehydration is linked to increased risk of kidney disease, such as kidney failure.
- Severe dehydration may contribute to cause cerebral edema (swelling of the brain), seizures, coma, or even death.
You also need plenty of fluid to help keep the nasal cavities moist and lubricate your mucus membranes. In other words, good hydration is important to keep your mucus thin and loose – this is particularly important when you have sinus problem such as sinus infection.
Your urine is the easy guideline to tell whether you’re being hydrated or dehydrated. The lighter your urine means more hydrated you are. Just make sure to drink about eight-8-ounces glasses of water every day!
Best fruit juices to drink for sinus infection
Juicing may be one of fun ways to include more fruits to your diet, plus you can get more fluid to keep hydrated – this is especially true if you don’t enjoy eating whole fruits.
The next question, what is the best fruit juice to help treat sinus infection? Actually, most fruits are good when you’re feeling sick. But when it comes to help improve the inflammation and infection of sinuses, here are some you need to prioritize!
Grapefruit orange juice
The combination of grapefruits, orange, and limes could be your vitamin C monster. All of these fruits are rich in vitamin C, which is essential for immune system booster. Vitamin C is required by the body to promote the production of white blood cells and antibody so your body can help fight against the infection more easily.