Sinusitis is a common condition and many people can have it. Fortunately, it’s usually mild and easy to treat – though in a few cases it can be serious. It is a condition in which the sinus linings are inflamed, causing obstruction in the nasal passages. The symptoms can vary, but does it also cause diarrhea?
The common causes of diarrhea
This digestive problem is very common. It can affect anyone – in most people, it can occur once or twice each year. However, there are some conditions that put you to have it more often. For example, it is more common in people with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).
It’s typically characterized by watery and loose stools. Other symptoms are as follows:
- A frequent urge to have a bowel movement.
- Sometimes the problem may be followed with nausea and vomiting.
- Abdominal cramps.
- Bloating in the stomach.
Although it can be very bothersome – the good news it is usually not harmful, easy to treat, and goes away in a few days. Many times it improves with lifestyle measures. If the treatment is required, the over-the-counter medicines (without prescription) are also available.
While it usually is mild and not serious, in a few cases it may also be associated with particular underlying health condition. Furthermore, sometimes the cause of the problem is not easy to diagnose.
Diarrhea can be attributed by a lot of factors and causes. A mild viral infection in the gut is often to blame. Other causes include:
- Dietary factors. For example, eating particular foods that can upset your digestive system. Sometimes diarrhea is caused by bacterial infection from food poisoning. Furthermore, some people have allergic reaction to certain foods.
- Abusing alcohol.
- Abusing laxative.
- The side effects of particular medications.
- Problem in absorbing particular nutrients.
- A condition called runner’s diarrhea, some people can get diarrhea due to running.
A number of health conditions can also contribute to cause diarrhea. These include diabetes, digestive diseases (like ulcerative colitis and Chron’s disease), hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid), or even some types of cancer (especially cancers that affect the digestive system).
Seek help promptly if your diarrhea is also followed with other unusual symptoms, especially such as:
- Increased heart rate.
- Changes in urine, like darker urine.
- You get confused or irritable.
- Dry skin.
- Or headaches.
What is sinusitis?
The sinuses are the air-filled cavities behind the nasal bones, forehead, cheeks, and eyes.