Best Natural Moisturizer for Psoriasis

One of the best ways to cope with psoriasis is with regular use of moisturizers. And when it comes to moisturizing your skin, there are many options to choose from. But if you’re looking for ‘natural’ idea, some of the following natural moisturizers may help.

Natural oils

Psoriasis can flare up at any time, causing itchy patches and other discomforts. But with appropriate strategies, it’s manageable.

There are many ways to deal with, from conventional medications to light remedies such as coconut oil, black seed oil, and castor oil. These oils contain active agents (e.g. antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties), which also can act as a natural moisturizer.

Coconut oil

In traditional medicine, people use coconut oil to help dilute essential oils (like lavender, chamomile, rosemary, and ginger oils). Although it’s only considered as ‘carrier oil’, it has a number of powerful properties to help soothe psoriasis symptoms.

Its anti-inflammatory properties may help ease your psoriasis pain. Plus, it keeps your skin moist, which is important to help moisturize the scales. To gain the benefits most, apply the oil on the skin right after bathing.

Coconut oil is safe for most people. It’s commonly used for cooking (safe for consumption). If applied topically, it also typically doesn’t have side effects.

Black cumin seed oil

Black cumin oil is an essential oil that can also act as natural moisturizer. Some people with psoriasis find that their skin dryness improves with topical application of this essential oil. Also, it is loaded with anthelmintic, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties – all of them are good to cope with psoriasis.

To keep safe, use it with carrier oil (like coconut oil). Appling the oil directly without carrier oil may cause negative reactions, especially if you have sensitive skin!

Castor oil

Like coconut oil, castor oil is carrier oil. It can also act as a natural emollient – some anecdotal accounts suggest that regular topical application with castor oil may help the skin feel less itchy and more comfortable.

The ‘natural’ label doesn’t mean it works for everyone. It’s still important to understand precautions of the specific oil you’re going to.

For examples, some oils are not recommended during pregnancy and breastfeeding. If there is any certain medications you’re taking regularly or if you have health issues, ask your doctor first – because they may interact with your medications!

Aloe Vera

For many decades, the gel derived from aloe vera leaves has been used for healing and softening skin. Does it also work for psoriasis? Modern-day research into the effectiveness of aloe vera is mixed. However, it’s hard to resist that a few studies show it might be helpful in treating skin abrasions, seborrhea, dandruff, and psoriasis.

The way of how it helps relieve psoriasis symptoms is not easy to understand. But it can help keep the skin moist.

What is it made of? Most of aloe vera (99.5 percent) is water. But the other, 0.5 percent is loaded with essential properties for skin health. These include choline, choline salicylate, and mucopolysaccharides.

In moderation, regular use of topical application with aloe vera — especially one with free of aloin, part of aloe plant located between the outer leaf and the gooey stuff inside (aloin might increase the risk of colon and rectal cancer in rats, according to one study) — is safe for most adults.

Don’t apply the gel to deep cuts! If necessary, do a patch test because some people are allergic to aloe plant! The downside, sometimes it might not be heavy enough to moisturize psoriasis skin during flare-up (when the skin is really dried out).